One of the first Ford GTs prepares to be driven off the line at Multimatic’s assembly plant in Markham, Ontario, on Dec. 16, 2016. Ford is extending GT output through 2020. Photo credit: FORD
Ford Motor Co. is extending production of the GT supercar by two years and will build 350 more vehicles than it originally planned.
Ford previously planned to build 1,000 GTs through the 2020 model year. It now says it will build 1,350 vehicles through 2022.
“The response to our Ford GT has been unprecedented, with initial demand outstripping supply by more than six-to-one,” Hermann Salenbauch, Ford Performance director, said in a statement Thursday. “By extending the Ford GT production run for a limited period, we’re able to maintain the exclusivity of the ultra-desirable supercar while offering the ownership experience to a greater number of customers.”
Ford said it will reopen order banks for the GT on Nov. 8. Owners for the first two model years have been selected, and production of 2019 vehicles has been designated for applicants who were on the waitlist for the first two batches of supercars.
Ford received more than 6,500 applicants when it first opened order banks for the GT.
The automaker received more than 6,500 applicants when it first opened order banks.
The vehicles are built by Canadian supplier Multimatic Inc. in Markham, Ontario. The supplier ran into trouble early on, hitting just 55 percent of its product target for the 2017 model year. Earlier this month, Ford recalled 194 of its 2017-18 GTs over a hydraulic fluid leak.
The car has some high-profile owners, including Houston Astros pitcher Justin Verlander and Jay Leno. Professional wrestler John Cena also received one, but ran into legal trouble when he tried to flip the vehicle but has since settled a lawsuit with the company.